Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Great Britain: Damien Hirst: Life and Death


Damien Hirst
The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living
1991Tiger shark, glass, steel, 5% formaldehyde solution213 x 518 x 213 cm

Damien Steven Hirst[1] (born 7 June 1965) is an English artist and the most prominent member of the group known as "Young British Artists" (or YBAs). Hirst dominated the art scene in Britain during the 1990s and is internationally renowned. Wikipedia Dec. 2008

"The impulses driving Damien Hirst's work stem from dilemmas inherent in human life: 'I am aware of mental contradictions in everything, like: I am going to die and I want to live for ever. I can't escape the fact and I can't let go of the desire'. The materials he uses often shock, but he says he 'uses shock almost as a formal element . not so much to thrust his work in the public eye . but rather to make aspects of life and death visible'."

No comments: